What makes you happy?
Think of something that when you do it, it doesn’t feel like work but brings you great satisfaction…The feeling I’m talking about is…a smile on your face once you’re done, a feeling of accomplishment or even achievement. If you are lucky enough to be in a day job, which ticks all these boxes and more…well, you don’t need me to tell you what to do because you’re already doing it. Well done you!
If however, you don’t have that yet but would like a passion-filled life…then please read on.
I have not attained a purpose-filled life…yet. But I desperately want to. I know what I love doing and I sort of know what makes me happy (most days). Here is my list of things, which I love doing and what I know makes me happy:
- I want to help others and this could be people or animals.
- I love to write (oh this is something special).
- I want to make time for myself so there needs to be a balance.
- I would love to learn how to dance – hip-hop to be precise.
What I would like to attain in life:
- I want to have a job that I love (passion-filled)
- But, it needs to pay enough dividends for me to not feel like I’m working.
- I want to have the freedom to decide my own hours.
- When I need a break, I want to be able to get in my car and drive or get on a plane to a destination that resonates with my soul (a white sandy beach would be good).
- I want to be surrounded by people who appreciate me and never take me for granted (a bit more difficult especially when you need to weed out the undesirables who are already in your life)
- I want to increase my knowledge in said passion.
- I want to leave a legacy behind long after I have left this world.
These are just a few things off the top of my head. Is it attainable…? Well, I think I am only limited by what I tell myself I cannot achieve. I believe that I can have all these things and even more.
I’ve been thinking about this for a long time now…see if you agree with me. We wake up, go to work where we spend the bulk of our time doing whatever it is that we do and come home tired – just to be repeated another day. This seems like a waste of time to me. Yes, we get paid but therein lay my gripe. We sell our time for money doing something most of us wish we weren’t doing, to begin with. The sad thing about it though, we will end up having regrets because somewhere along the journey of life, we sacrificed. Time, relationships, it really doesn’t matter…the fact remains.
So I guess the question remains. What is being proposed to move forward…HOW?
For me, it’s sitting and writing down the SPECIFIC things, which I am passionate about. Once I have this narrowed down, I am going to identify the key skills and knowledge I need to plug into. (Bonus if I already have them…and I’m sure I do, even if it’s just one, to begin with).
Next, I am going to devise a plan to step out of my comfort zone.
I take cognizance of the following:
- This will not happen overnight.
- There is no quick fix and there are no guarantees (Just in case I don’t succeed, I will have a backup listed passion).
- I need to stick to my day job because that pays the bills…for now.
- Not everyone will support me…because they won’t. (And I’m okay with that).
We spend most of our lives working and the last few years we have left on earth, we are too old or ailed to enjoy what we have left. Imagine having the power to decide that that is not the life you wish to live. Imagine owning your destiny and future…not being dependent on something or someone else to make it successful. That right there costs nothing but planning, determination and endurance. All the things you have within you…are the foundation you need to start.
What are you waiting for? Tick…tock…tick…tock